Thursday, October 19, 2006

...is in the details.

Did we do everything that we could? Could we have tried harder? Were we patient enough? Could we have done more? Were we too patient? Does it matter? Does it ever? All of these questions, yet, we will never get definitive answers. Should we even get all of the answers? What good would it really do? Even if we get all of the answers we were looking for, they would be too complex and we would probably be left with more questions. Is life an answer, or a question? Regardless of what aspect of life we’re talking about, it all applies. Fernand Mondego was right; sometimes we’re kings and sometimes we’re pawns. The only answers we do get will have to be enough because that’s all any of us ever know. But maybe that’s the problem, or the point, we will never be satisfied with the answers, no matter what they may be. When we focus on the questions and the answers, we forget about what we got into things for in the first place. When all of the questions fade and the answers are forgotten, the only things we remember are the moments. Good or bad, that’s the part that burns itself into our minds and stays with us for years. About fifteen years ago I lived in Europe and do you know what I remember? Riding the train into Heidelberg, walking across the countryside as the sun rose while my breath became a fog out in front of my face, driving into Paris on a Sunday afternoon, the view from my sixth floor apartment, dinner and beer at the local guest house, riding my mountain bike through the nature preserve/park behind the town I lived in, and on and on. Emotional impressions and feelings, moments trapped within my mind and most of them are good. When I considered remarrying about seven years ago, I know neither of us were mature enough to handle the forces that pulled us apart, but I don’t remember many specific details to quantify that. I do remember many good moments; her scent, her hair (I loved her hair), when she titled her head and did the motorboat while looking in the mirror, how beautiful she looked even when she woke up in the morning, kicking her ass in Jeopardy, the feel of laying next to her, her smile, her coy look when she asked something she knew would embarrass me, and on and on. Despite the moments I do remember, I also know that I should have made many more good moments to remember (oh yeah, the whole immature thing). But I didn’t, I got bogged down in the details (and to some extent, so did she). So, you may be asking, “Yeah, whatever dude, are you just remorseful or does all of this have a point?” Well, “IT IS YOU THAT DOES NOT KNOW!” Oh, wait, sorry. Yes! It does have a point. Cherish the moments that you get, no matter what is going on around you. Try your best (don’t try too hard, though) and just enjoy the things that happen, assuming they’re good. Although this is one of those fortune cookie things that we’ve all heard and you may be thinking, “Yeah, I know all of this already, dumb ass.” It has been a hard lesson for me and I thought I’d write about it. I guess it’s just one of those things that you have to figure out for yourself.

9 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much of our time in modern society is spent trying to succeed, trying to get ahead and taking opportunties purely for the title and the money. That's suppossed to be looking at the "big picture," and it really means cutting out anything that is important or real or meaningful. When you are first attracted to someone, it is the details, the small things that catch your attention like the glint in someone's eyes when they look at you in a bar or way the sound of their voice makes your heart skip a beat, not their Master's thesis or the amount they have in bank account. And when I remember being a child, it isn't even birthday parties or trips to the zoo I remember, but going to McDonald's on Saturdays with my Dad or dancing around the living room to 8 tracks (yes, 8 tracks). And no, it's not it isn't obvious to everyone or else there won't be millions of people going to Vegas for a big weekend, a big jackpot, or a once in a lifetime bachelor party.

 
At 2:36 AM , Blogger Gill said...

After I nearly died in a car crash every moment became sweet and something to cherish but it is strange how quickly you forget to keep cherishing!

 
At 6:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved half way across the country to love a man that I had only met twice. I was young and crazy, but I knew in my soul, that if we stood together, our world would be fine. I told him if you love deeply, honestly, and allow yourself to be loved, the rest would work itself out. He tried, I tried, and then we stopped. When I wanted to get back together, he wouldn’t hear of it; when he said he missed me, I pretended it didn’t matter. Fools we were – in life and love. I never regretted the time we had and, wondered over the years, if I threw aside my lobster. I still remember that blue bottle that held my future hopes and dreams; the smell of the crock of his neck; being able to be a mother to the only girl that would ever call me Mommy; his robust laugh; the mole that I loved and he despised; those beautiful eyes; his breath on my neck as we slept. The moral of the sad tale: Never stop believing in the fairy tale. For a moment in time, I had it.

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Deleted Blog said...

Adam, your blog is touching. I love how your thoughts flow and how you share your deepest feelings.
There is much to learn about ourselves, when we relive the past and the memories that gave us joy and brought us to tears.
I know you will agree that every trial teaches us; some are harder than others. I was married for nearly twenty years and the breakup of that union was the hardest thing I ever went through... it truly was like a death; but one without real closure. An ending without an ending. It was akin to giving up and letting go of something; knowing it was important (maybe imperative)to do so, but never really knowing why. A part of me died; and I know I shall never be the same. Even though I am the happiest I have ever been, the wound healed and a more trusted love has come my way, there is an ugly scar that reminds me of my humanity and my inability to change my core.
By the way, did you notice that I did respond to you blog under the July archive? I hope so. Come and visit me if you want. There's an ugly duckling sitting in my blog.
~Peace

 
At 2:48 AM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

Is this about the time we were about to make out at the Double Down for $5

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

Adam,
this has nothing to do with your blog but today I drank 7 Dos Equis & half a bottle of Jim Beam & listened to GG Allin, fuck! It was quite.... hmmmm retarded but quite liberating,wow you need to learn to play an instrument, we'll let you join U-88! fuck I'm wasted when my painting start selling I'm gonna pay you to not work & goof off with me all day! We'll be those dildos at Cardiff By The Sea everyone hates!
-Karl Bakla

 
At 12:21 AM , Blogger Adam Smasher said...

Hell yeah! Sounds great! I'll start practicing the Oboe right away. Also, Karl, you're right, it is about that time at the Double Down. I still think we could have got $20 each out of those rubes!

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

arrrhhhh ot's a day & a half later after my bottle of Jim Beam & 8 DE the pain!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger Gill said...

I'll just direct you here

http://www.davidshrigley.com/draw_htmpgs/guardian.html

and you can read the lovely picture about having a hangover

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters