Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Military Memoir

Very recently a friend asked, after almost ten years invested, why I left the military. It was an honest simple question and one I was asked before. I answered with honesty, but strangely I didn’t even understand my entire answer. It made me think about that point in my life. I mean, I was about halfway to retirement. At the time (and still today) I felt as if I had nothing left to give the military and the military had nothing left for me. Yet, in it all, I was paid to do something that I love very much. No, not be a soldier, I hated that. Very much in fact. What I love to do is hike and enjoy nature. To be out in the natural world alone (or at least with only a few people) and just being. Essentially, my last couple of years in the military I was a section sergeant in charge of a LRRP and LP/OP team for an OPFOR unit somewhere in the deep desert. What does that mean? LRRP = Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol. LP/OP = Listening Post / Observation Post. OPFOR = Opposing Force. Hope that clears it up a bit. Anyway, before any more confusion arises. This was in the nineties, three full years before 9-11 and all the crap afterwards. My job essentially was, once a month or so, my team and I (2-4 men total) would be dropped off (by some vehicle or another) out in the desert. We would hike several miles to a hill or small mountain top with all of our gear. Find a good place to watch a given area and wait around for the attack (wargames) and then report enemy positions and movement. That was it, and those memories are some of my fondest in the military. My other job was very administrative and was about 75% of military life. I hated it and had been hating it for two solid years by that point. Ironically (yes ironically not coincidently, or is it?) these are some of the worst memories of my military career. I distinctly remember considering, upon my separation from active service, joining the National Guard and feeling physically ill at the prospect of continuing to wear my uniform. Yes, I had the distinct physical sensation of having to vomit. As I stated, I strongly felt I had nothing left for the military. Why do I dredge all of this up? You ask as you sit there snidely judging me. I really only want to understand why also, because I don’t. Is it my gypsy blood (yes my masculine genetic donor was a gypsy, my real father is the one that adopted me) that curses me to forever need to roam? Is it my artist’s personality that feels it must constantly try to experience to things? Is it some weird sense of preeminence about my future (that’s yet to happen)? Honestly I don’t know. This blog is simply one of those examinations of myself. However pompous that may seem, I don’t really care. I do know this. I have some really fantastic memories of how beautiful the deep desert can be. The morning sun slicing across the landscape, creating shadows that highlight every detail of the terrain. Kangaroo Rats scurrying about over my gear and boots as if we weren’t even there. How a full moon can make that stark desert ground bright with eerie blue light and a visibility, similar to twilight except for the black sky, for miles. Observing packs of coyotes stream from their holes and move in a haunting choreography as they run. Seeing the stars blaze in a moonless night and truly understanding how the Milky Way earned it’s name while also comprehending why ancient astronomers found such fascination and mystery in the night sky. These memories I will always cherish and I realize I may never experience again (at least not to that level of immersion). When I stop and try to feel it all. Truly let myself feel what it meant to have left the military. It’s not the practical things I miss. It’s not the discipline nor the pay nor chance for a retirement check. It’s those lonely desert nights, staring up at the stars in awe. Flipping through my battered little star chart guide which my great love had bought me, just for those nights. I existed there on those hills, full of life yet empty and clean. It was as if I was as close to God as I would ever get.

7 Comments:

At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm well you live in a place surrounded by a desert yet you sit there typing about how the best times of your life were spent sitting on a hill in the middle of the desert looking at the stars.. sounds awesome... heres a thought how bout you take the 15 minute drive and do it again...

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger Adam Smasher said...

I have and it's not the same. Believe it or not this city's light is harsh when it comes to star viewing and it affects the sky quite a bit for many miles. I did do some star viewing in early August up in Utah and that was really great (about 3 hours out). I tried to get some photos of the Persied Meteor shower but my camera was not of the right quality. It was really cool to view though! But regarding this blog, it was the immersion of it all that I miss. Glad you pointed that out.

 
At 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that sucks.. vegas is bright though go out south of the dam, its pretty dark there. so where in utah? in cedar city my folks have some property, its about 3 hours from vegas... just take exit 58 and head west out of town to mile marker 16 then turn right go about a half mile and the place will be on your left. thats some clear skys up there.

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

I think I understand… even though I fucking hate going to the Stardust every morning I will always miss the times I spent calling in sick to work, the times at work I avoided doing work, & the times when I knew my break was over but I still had coffee in my cup so I took my time & continued to sit in the break room enjoying the cup of coffee. When they finally fire me I will miss the coffee, the coffee in the break room is better than Starbucks, & 7-11. I will miss being inspired to destroy the status quo by materialistic guest who worship money & have no clue. I will miss the times when upper management walks by & I look at a coworker & before I can say the words my coworker says “fuck that guy”. Yes, I will miss my coworkers, but I will not miss work! If I ever make it can I take you guys with me? I’m not to sure what I will do that will make me make it, but if I figure it out & we can do it in a way that will let us sleep at night with out our conscious bothering us, I will take you guys on that train with me that is heading straight off the cliff into fun land. No, I haven’t been drinking & I haven’t been doing drugs tonight, fuck you for even thinking it!

 
At 6:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang look like karl was drunk blogging again.

 
At 11:11 PM , Blogger Kamikaze Kurt said...

there's nothing like experiencing the night and seeing the night sky the way it would've been, even fifty years ago. when i lived in the Australian outback, you could literally drive by the starlight it was that dark - I would drive with all my car lights turned off and as my eyes adjusted, it was a totally different world. the skies out there were amazing and yet the surrounds were foreboding as well. but it does help you put yourself into the proper place of things in this life... and for every person its a different thing.

 
At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! what a well written and discriptive picture, i can almost picture it. Must have been great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters