Saturday, September 23, 2006

Quick Hits: Tiger Woods’s Great Legacy... and The Worst Thing I Heard Today...

Tiger Woods’s Great Legacy...

While listening to NPR, I was completely absorbed by a story in which the commentator was talking about Tiger Woods and other golfers regarding the Ryder Cup. The Ryder Cup is a great tournament that concentrates on team play, taking place in Ireland. The commentator talked about Tiger’s past performances (all poor apparently) in the Ryder Cup and how Tiger really needs to understand his legacy within the golfing world. He expressed his desire to see Tiger “step up” and take his place among the golfing elite. He also criticized Tiger for not taking the Ryder Cup seriously enough. The commentator talked on and on about how great the old U.S. of A. team was back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and how they dominated the European team but since Tiger took the reigns our team has suffered. Hmm... Legacy? Elite? Taking it seriously? Wait a fucking moment here! We are talking about golf, right? That game that uses large tracts of land and water purely for aesthetic reasons? That game that was originally (and still is as far as I know) for the rich and powerful. What the fuck! I mean, don’t misunderstand, if a guy can make millions playing a game his whole adult life, more power to him. But don’t fucking talk about it or him as someone great or someone that needs to take golf seriously. I really thought it was a joke that I didn’t get. Damn that commentator sounded serious though.

The Worst Thing I Heard Today...

Today (at the good ‘ol Stardust) a lady had won ten thousand dollars (yes $10,000). I always like to see people win (y’know, take a little bit out instead of the other way around). She was happy but she expressed to me that the last couple of days she had lost over $9000 dollars playing slot machines (probably a conservative estimate, I mean, would you tell if you lost more than you won) and that she really needed this. Okay, I thought, she looked like a rich old bird and it was her money, she could be doing something better with it but who cares. She then changed her tone and started explaining how she “deserved” this she really acted as if it was her right to win this. Yeah, okay lady, you and every other gambler. I went and made the check out, when I returned she gratefully took the check and then looked at me proudly and said. “Half of this check is going to help pay for my son’s cancer bills. He really needs the help and I’m going to help him.” Wait a zombie-jesus minute here! Did she just say what I thought she said? Yes, she did and repeated it a few times. I shouldn’t have to explain why this is the most reproachable, disgusting, irritating and self-gratifying thing I’ve heard all day. She did not tip and if this was her way to get out of one, it’s probably the most creative one I’ve heard.

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

it's a good thing we dip all the jackpot winnings in cancer causing radioactive materials, he, he ,he she'll get what she deserves, cancer that is!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters