Saturday, July 29, 2006

Logic Vs. Irrationality



During a drunken discussion recently, a friend and I debated religion versus atheism. Actually that’s not entirely true, we discussed spirituality versus lack thereof. Being drunk, the argument tended to meander around in various states of clumsiness. My friend, being drunk and an atheist, used logic to argue his points. Myself, being relatively spiritual, and also drunk, stumbled around poorly constructed ideas regarding perception, idea and faith. I don’t remember how it ended up and really, it doesn’t matter. Two days later that friend confessed that he didn’t remember anything of the discussion (although I think he is being polite because his semi-drunken logic was semi-drunken solid vs. my drunken lack of a well constructed argument). I, however, remember many aspects of the discussion. In retrospect I think the discussion, in of itself, is pretty ridiculous. Think about it. Two drunk guys arguing in a bar about something that inherently can’t be argued. Logic versus Irrationality.

First off, I am a believer. Do I believe Jesus died on the cross for our sins? Well, I wouldn’t necessarily go that far. Then again, there are plenty of nuts that live in the modern world that do plenty of wacky things both good and ill. Is it plausible that some guy about two thousand years ago was delusional and justified his upcoming death as an excuse to forgive humans of sin, which in turn, founded a new religion? Absolutely! Hell, people started looking at George Lucas as a new prophet and “The Force” as a new religion, not so long ago and not so far away.

We live everyday with sets of beliefs and perceptions that may or may not be true. From silly things like expecting your car to start to assuming a traffic report is accurate. These beliefs and perceptions are based off of a history of events and expectations of a future. On a personal level, we often don’t have the hard facts of these beliefs. We simply take someone else’s word for it and history bears it out. We also use these small beliefs and perceptions to construct our reality around us. Now, oversimplification aside, religion, spirituality or whatever you want to call it, is a more complex series of beliefs and perceptions based from what we are taught, what we see and how we react (internally or externally) to construct this reality around us.

Logic is the application of a set of rules defined by a physical world, on concepts that we usually have hard facts about. The rules of logic are made up from observation, hard facts and a history of repetition. People use this logic to help them understand the world around them, or, their reality.

The difference is that you can apply logic to many everyday things and bear out hard evidence of why your beliefs are well founded. But this wasn’t always true. We didn’t always know what air was or why we needed it. Science, or more aptly, the progression of applied logic to the natural world, continues to define our beliefs of how things work and why. When we take these things for granted by not really knowing how they work, aren’t we are being irrational?

The only point I am trying to make with all this CRAP, is this... Religion is inherently irrational because of the lack of hard facts. Millions of people, for whatever reason, use religion in a positive way. Many also use it in a negative way. (George and Osama, anyone? Yes, they are the same to me.) They have no real reason for it, they just feel that it is true (whether this feeling came from thousands of years of religious brainwashing, or not, I don’t know). They have faith because they believe yet logically it CANNOT be defined.

My car will start today because I have faith. My faith in my car is logic based because I have lots of facts to support my faith. Logic CAN be applied to this.

I believe that there are many things beyond human understanding (right now) one of which includes an intelligence (or several) beyond our comprehension. Does this mean I think about a god in a white toga and Birkenstocks? No I don’t. Is this belief irrational? Yes, it is. It is mostly based from my observations, my feelings and my speculations about what my reality consists of. Am I delusional? Possibly. After all, I do think the Great Zombie Apocalypse is coming as prophesized by Romero. Objectively, I’d say that’s out there.

My friend also believes that there are many things beyond human understanding (right now) but none of which include an intelligence beyond our comprehension, at least not in a “god” way. His beliefs are based from his observations, his feelings and his speculations about what his reality consists of applied to his logic. Is he delusional? Possibly. He does think Kevin Smith is a humble and ingratiating guy and Bill Maher is a comic genius, after all. I’d say that’s pretty fucking delusional.

Irrationality and logic DO NOT MIX. People will continue to believe what they will believe. Some of it based on logic, some of it not. Most of it, bullshit. All of it is our reality, even if that means 6.5 billion variations of reality.

Of course I have to show an example of seriously delusional fuckheads here...

Unseen World

5 Comments:

At 12:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

who the hell were you getting drunk with...descartes?

 
At 1:06 AM , Blogger The Blogging Alchemist said...

NOT DESCARTES...he sought to prove God's existence in Meditations III.

Anyhow, here's a sober objection to a point you make.

My car will start today because I have faith. My faith in my car is logic based because I have lots of facts to support my faith.

Allow me to reorganize your argument making the conclusion the ending statement.

My faith in my car is logic based because I have lots of facts to support my faith. Therefore, my car will start today because I have faith.

One of the implications of this statement is that logically based faith causes certain events (like a car starting). However, let's assume that your faith wasn't logic based or had flaws in its logic. Would that actually affect whether or not the car would start? No, it wouldn't. The car would either start or not start based on different variables applying only to the car. The car starting isn't based on your faith. Your faith is irrelevant when it concerns the end result. If your faith actually played a real role, it would be required in all instances of the car starting. For instance, no other component of car starting can be removed with the result being the car still starting. However, were I to remove you (and your faith) from the situation, I theoretically could start the car on my own (all other variables remaining constant).

Besides, if your faith is based on logic, and your logic is correct, then what you have is an accurate logical conclusion, not faith.

 
At 1:24 AM , Blogger Adam Smasher said...

Okay, but an accurate logical conclusion only becomes that once it becomes the past. Until that point you (or whomever) are basing that faith off of what you know (or think you know) about what should happen. It's still a conjecture and still faith based until it happens.

With that said, then faith is an idea of the future, whether logical or not. My point is that faith is about being in a point in time and conjecturing about the future.

If I were to die, and yet live on in some other form having full realization of the life I just lived, my faith in an afterlife ceases to be. It is now a logical conclusion (or at worst a lucky fucking guess) because it is now true.

If I were to die and cease to exist in any form. You may be right, yet neither you nor I would know it and therefor it would never be proven. Either way, only I can truly be proven right in my "faith" that their is an afterlife.

Now I have a new reason to believe. If I were to die and live in some boring idea of a neo christian heaven, I'd like you there to debate pointless things because it would be so damned fun.

 
At 2:34 AM , Blogger The Blogging Alchemist said...

Okay, okay, I think we may have moved into some sort of quantam mechanics realm (i.e. Shrodinger's cat) and will readily admit my lack of comprehension of the subject.

However, I will concede that it would be nice to have an eternity to wax intellectual about nothing as I am so apt to do when intoxicated.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Deleted Blog said...

I just love the way your mind travels Adam.
Many good points made here, but I must confess... I am not as "smaht", *said like Forrest Gump*, as you fellows.
I must rely on my limited and unschooled knowlege to convey how I feel and what I think. I suppose that is evident. :=)
Maybe everything we think and feel is illogical and irrational! I mean, I hope not... but I suppose it's possible.
My little worthless opinion here is this... there is a difference between spirituality and religion. Spirituality seems to be based on hope and love; and yes, faith. Faith is that which we hope for but can not see. (summary of Biblical meaning.) To me, when someone is spiritual, they appear to be a person who is searching and even admitting that he/she doesn't know everything. We are all human and full of defects.
A person's spirituality can often have a positive affect on the people around them. At times, it is the catalyst that softens the hardest of hearts.

In my opinion it is the belief system that is tossed aside the most because it is the least understood between the two ideas: Religion or Spirituality.


Religion on the other hand, well... it is my opinion that it is often the cause of most human suffering. I believe it is a guise; a smokescream. It shrouds the true motives of many people. Religion is about power and ego. Not all "religious" people know this. I was once religious and didn't know. I do not say that religious people are evil. I do believe that some use it to cover the reality of who they are.

With all of that said, I wish to stand up for what I believe in and risk the ridicule of others. I am a Christian... but an unusual one. I once went through a horrible time in my life and lost all faith in everything. When that happened, I lost a belief in myself. Life was nothingness; just waking and drifting and sleeping.

I am glad that I believe in something. I am relieved it is something that is somehow smarter and more loving than myself.

Adam, I apoligize for writing so much. I do that sometimes... and that is, of course, part of those defects I spoke of earlier.

We would all be in a world of shit... if I was God.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters