Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hearts and Flowers!

Hooray for sugar and spice and everything nice!

A friend received a unique challenge to write his blog about something good like hearts and flowers. I thought it was a pretty interesting challenge so I decided to take it up also. Instead of showing how the manufacturing of construction paper leads to global warming (not to mention deforestation of protected forests, illegally due to the negative side effects of globalization.) Or how the flower industry is just a horrible made up idea that manipulates men and woman by making them think that flowers are actually important somehow (Though admittedly it’s less damaging than the diamond industry, billions of plants are murdered each year!) I decided to approach the challenge in a straight forward way…

Hearts



I remember those paper hearts we all used to have to cut out of construction paper in school. I actually used to really enjoy making them. Something about cutting that simple pattern, with just enough challenge for little hands to feel a sense of accomplishment. Never cared for the pink, and that red paper always seemed too cinnamony colored for me. But the tactile experience was something I’ll always remember.

.

.

Here are some photos of other favorite hearts of mine…

.

.



.

.

Flowers

Delving into my sensitive side, I’ll admit that I have always loved daisies!


My mother loves roses, but I say, ptuh! to that. With all that needless complexity, no way. The daisy was it for me. There was always something appealing about them. The simple white petals evenly radiating outward from a clean yellow center. Reminding me of the sun, yet not so blinding. Clean, simple design and to me, proof of perfection. If I gave a girl daisies, that meant I really loved her, even if she didn't see it that way!

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Anyway, here are some photos of really strange and unusual flowers...


3 Comments:

At 4:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i must admit that i was mildly surprised that you didn't dedicate your entire blog to global warming and deforistation. While I enjoy getting flowers (not roses) I learned a valuable lesson. Flowers ARE pointless. Its just another way for the gluttonous profit deriving corporations to make money three or four times a year. You have an amazing way of encorporating exactly what I wanted while still connecting it to a serious problem. Anyway, its like four a.m. and I can't even think straight anymore. I enjoyed the pictures of the hearts as well. I'm gonna think of a new challenge just for you. How about blogging about how Harrahs could improve the structure of the building to ensure the saftey of all the valuable employees in the event that zobies attack?! I think I might mention how unsafe the building is in the Pulse survey. Later.

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger The Blogging Alchemist said...

This is a good blog. I think it's the first in a series which will culminate in you coming out of the closet. I can just see all the daisies at your "civil union" reception. Ooooo...it will just be FABULOUS!

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Karl Bakla said...

I like to push up daisies!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters